Sunday 21 October 2012

Starting Lab Work!

So last week I started on the experimental phase of my project, mainly just getting to know the lab, doing my risk assessment and setting up my experiment.

This is the tank in the lab which I'll be shovelling sand in and out of over for the next few months!



After getting to know all the staff in the lab and getting everything sorted, I had to prepare the bed of the tank.

Firstly as you can see, I created a gravel layer as the base. I then covered the gravel in plain multi-purpose cloths. These cloths acted as a permeable layer on the bed. This helps when I'm adding the element of water to my experiment but also helps when I'm shovelling sand in and out of the tank.



I've also now added the sand to my experiment. It is an incredible fine silica sand. I've also started doing a few trial runs, can't wait to get even further this week and get some good results! Will post more pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment