Thursday 25 October 2012

125th Anniversary of the Tay Bridge

This evening I attended a special lecture organised by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the completion of the Tay Bridge.


Duncan Sooman, a celebrated civil engineer, from Network Rail was the speaker for the evening end enlightened us on not only the history of the Tay Bridge but on the repairs and maintenance of the bridge today.

Being very involved in the project, our speaker was able to take us from the initial conception of the maintenance project, through procurement and tender, to what is happening right now in the ongoing project including looking at the problems that are currently being faced.

I found this really interesting as I could directly relate it to a piece of coursework I am currently in the process of completing as part of my Construction Management module. I am completing an appraisal of the construction management during the New Wembley Stadium project, and it really was refreshing to hear of a current project where so much detail is being put into the management of the project.

Overall the talk was really inspiring. I really felt the relevance of my current coursework to my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment